Thursday, April 14, 2011

FREE IN LOS ANGELES!

Dear Ask Dad!,

I am a recent single parent of 2 living in the L.A. area. I have only lived in CA for about 2 years now. Due to the economy being what it im in dire need of things to due that cost very little to entertain my kids. Please help! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!


Well Recent Single Parent, 

I do understand the need for budgeting with today’s economy being what it is. Having kids myself  I feel I must stress the importance of continuing on day to day operations at home not letting the children feel the tightness that surrounds the most of today’s wallets.

As I was thinking a a good response my daughter came to me saying “ Lets go have fun outside today”!
I grabbed my laptop and immediately went on a search for things to do in LA that cost little to nothing. With an extravagant end that would leave two nuclear power plants drained at the end. It is truly amazing what I found:       " Griffith Park "


Griffith Park offers so many amazing attractions for a cost that is very appealing to any parent living in today’s economy, FREE! So I grabbed my keys and headed out the door.

Griffith Park  www.lacity.org/rap/dos/parks/griffithpk/

Griffith Observatory  www.griffithobservatory.org/
A spectacular place for kids as well as adults to visit, with displays and attractions that include Stars, planets, pictures, and things you can touch and of course things you cannot. This is a must for any person wanting to spend the day dreaming in the sky.

Open Tuesday-Friday 12:00 noon to 10:00 p.m.
Open Saturday-Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Closed on Mondays

Griffith Observatory 
The fun started as we headed to the observatory were we walked for hours looking at stuff I never even knew existed, as I walked out the front door I caught myself staring to the sky with that child hood thought  of what it must be   like to be an Astronaut. I felt a tingle inside as I held my daughters close and walked to the car.

Picnicking at Griffith Park
At Griffith Park you get your choice of 5 separate picnic locations; I cannot choose which one I had more fun at. Between the BBQ's, the kids playground areas, hiking (we went for a walk), they offer swimming, this is just an amazing place!

We then drove down to the picnic area where I pulled out some BBQ supplies from the trunk and had lunch. The girls were too busy playing at the playground to even notice I had put out cookies and juice boxes for them.

Griffith Park Travel Town www.gprah.com/index.htm
After lunch we drove down the road a little further and stopped at Travel Town. Man what a place!!! From the time we entered the gates the kids made sure I knew just how excited they really were. From the screams to the jumping up and down they were happy to be here. After riding the cool miniature train, around the entire park of Travel Town,
We walked around the park, (actually I walked they ran), climbed on top, in, and out of many full size trains. I could not help but notice the many birthday parties surrounding the trains. I could only imagine what is going through the mind of a child when they find out they get to have a birthday party here, wow!

All this in one great place, all for under a dollar? That's right I spent $0.00 from 8am until 4:30pm it's all free. From Parking to entrance, it's FREE!


Until our next trip,

Ask dad

No comments:

Post a Comment